Click a topic to jump to it:
Molds are forms of fungi found all year round almost everywhere, both indoors and outdoors. Molds require a moist humidity to reproduce. Mold produces tiny spores to reproduce and these spores waft through the air continually. If inhaled mold spores can trigger allergic reactions. However, most people have no reaction when exposed to mold spores, but others are hyper-sensitive.
Here are allergic reactions that are most common to people who are sensitive to molds:
- Sinus infection
- Ear infections
- Nasal congestion
|Where do i get the greatest exposure to mold?
Molds require a type of moist humidity to reproduce. However, most people are mostly exposed to mold in the home because that's where they spend most of their time. Mold in the home needs moisture to grow and becomes a problem when there is a water source such as leaks or a flood.
When mold spores land on a damp spot (indoors) they may begin to grow and digest whatever they are growing on. Molds can grow on:
- Indoor house plants
|Potential areas for mold growth in the house include:
As already mentioned, molds needs a high humidity environment to develop and multiply. Here are potential areas for mold growth in the house:
- In showers, bath tubs, toilets and on bathroom walls
- On ceilings when you have a leak in the roof
- Indoor house plants
- Wood floors
|How do I recognize a mold problem in my home?
Most people often recognize mold prevalence when they perceive stains on ceiling boards and tiles. Some wait until there's a bad odor (smells of urine) in the house to recognize that there might be a mold problem.
Large quantities of molds may causes colored speckles on the walls, grout and tiles of your house. And your walls may look swollen and crumbling. Depending on the color of your walls, mold speckles are usually black, brown, orange or pink in color.
The prevalence of molds in the home may result in an unexplained illness that can be mild or severe.
|How dangerous are molds to my health?
Molds, pollen, dust mites and animal dander, are the main cause of allergies and infections. Here are the top mold symptoms that a mold victim may experience:
- Breathing difficulties
- A cold that reoccurs
- A decreased resistance to infection
- A skin rash
- Vision and eye problem
- Fatigue that continues
- Flu symptoms
- Hair loss
- Itching of the eyes, mouth, nose and skin area
- Redness of the white of your eye (sclera)
- A runny nose
- Sinus congestion
- Sinus problems
- Chronic sinusitis
- Sneezing fits
- Sore throat
Large quantities of mold growth indoors may cause unnecessary inconveniences such as:
- Bad odors
- Damage to building materials
- Paralyze indoor plants
Although rare, people with weakened immune systems may contract fungal infections from building-associated molds. Click here on how do I controll mold?